Electronic Logging Devices (ELDs) have revolutionized the erstwhile methods of maintaining hours of service (HOS). Additionally, ELDs also track and record engine operating information, distance traveled, and how long the engine has been running. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has mandated the use of ELDs for all Commercial Motor Vehicles (CMVs) Commercial drivers required to maintain Records of duty status (RODS) or HOS have to use an ELD. The competition in the ELD market is intense, with service providers vying for the top spot.
The blog focuses on Motive(formerly KeepTruckin) and Matrack, two big players in the field of ELD service providers. The objective is to inform the readers about the characteristics of ELD solutions provided by these competitors and identify which is better. Here we have discussed KeepTruckin ELD V/S Matrack ELD Which Is Better? So go through them and stay with us till the end
Motive ELD (formerly KeepTruckin)
Motive, previously known as KeepTruckin, is a tech company dealing in equipment tracking, driver safety, compliance, maintenance, spend management, tracking, and telematics. Motive’s ELD application “Motive Vehicle Gateway” has good features and a market reputation
Following are the features of the Motive ELD
The Driver App
- ELD compliance has been made easy by the Motive driver app. Drivers prefer the Motive driver app as it can avoid HOS violations by completing logs and inspection reports faster. The Inspection mode is useful when a DOT officer is reviewing HOS logs.
- Alternating between different driver profiles, the teams can manage HOS from a single device via the Driver App.
- Even in isolated locations with poor cell service, stable ELD connectivity guarantees you will have the signal to remain compliant. Only Android devices support USB connections.
- To ensure compliance throughout North America, the Motive ELD is FMCSA registered and certified in Canada.
Here are the top HOS rules you must know in 2022.
Automated Compliance Management
- Artificial intelligence models analyze dashcam images and historical patterns to link shady journeys with the appropriate driver. Motive’s automated compliance management helps safety departments save countless hours and lower HOS transgressions.
- Keep tabs on HOS infractions, vehicle gateway discounts, and unscheduled journeys, and take immediate action to ensure compliance.
- When a vehicle enters a geofenced yard or terminal, automatically note driving events like a yard move.
- Improve HOS insights of your fleet by gaining greater access to them. Increase your awareness of cycle trends over time, driver leader boards, and violation breakdowns.
- Manage all facets of ELD compliance directly from your tablet or smartphone. Track the duty status and driver logs. Sync up, unused drivers. Correct grammatical and style issues.
- Prioritization is simple with CSA (Compliance, Safety, Accountability) monitoring. Which risk factors to focus on and when are shown by CSA Insights? To increase ELD conformance, lower CSA scores, and lessen the chance of an audit, forecasted CSA scores, intervention criteria, and violation breakdowns all work together.
- Defects in vehicles and assets listed in driver inspection reports are simple to identify. With such visibility, you can quickly repair damage and prevent expensive downtime. Customize the inspection process to meet your business needs.
- The Motive ELD provides automatic fuel and mileage tracking per region. Managing digital gasoline receipts and quickly exporting accurate IFTA reports with a single click are some other advantages.
- Highly developed AI detects risky driving patterns, including using a phone while driving and following too closely. Dash cam audio and visual notifications serve as a constant reminder for drivers to improve.
- Fleet safety solution enables drivers to record any serious occurrence they observe with the click of a button.
- Recording of occurrences after the engine has shut down. It ensures avoiding paying out of pocket for accidents like hit-and-run damage.
Integration of Apps with Motive ELD
- Truck companies require real-time visibility to monitor the location and know the status of goods at any given point. The GPS and telematics hardware installed in the automobile makes it possible, which can be accessed by a real-time app. Real-time visibility data not only ensures seamless tracking & delivery of goods but also results in customer satisfaction.
- Due to company policies, some carriers have reservations about providing access to their app brokers or 3PLs (Third-party logistics). In such situations, the motive vehicle gateway ELD is the ideal option, allowing the visibility platform of the truck companies’ to be, integrated with the ELD of the drivers. This helps the truckers as the location data is acquired directly from the ELD device. The integration is seamless and keeps all the involved parties comfortable and happy.
Result-oriented compliance solution
- Reduce Violations: Violations can be reduced as the drivers get alerts from the HOS clocks in the Driver app before they exceed the limits. This will result in compliance issues being addressed at a faster rate.
- Increase productivity: Fleets can operate more intelligently due to AI-powered unidentified trip matching. Control IFTA, DVIR, and HOS with a single solution. Spend less time editing logs quickly and automatically annotating yard moves.
- Risk management: Combine Motive’s DRIVE score with CSA score monitoring to gain a holistic picture of your drivers’ risk profiles. Drivers can receive coaching to lower their CSA scores and the likelihood of FMCSA intervention
- Cost Cutting: Predicted CSA ratings can help you cut down on FMCSA Fines and insurance expenses. Determine strategies for avoiding intervention thresholds. Inform your insurance provider of your anticipated scores to get a discount.
- The vendor has not disclosed the pricing.
Matrack Inc is one of the leading GPS fleet and asset tracking solution providers. The company has a presence on three continents and is based out of San Francisco Bay area. The products cover fleet, asset & trailer GPS tracking, ELD solutions, Boat & ATV tracking devices, and many more.
Installing the device is simple as it can be attached to the OBD II port of the vehicle. Once attached it syncs with the Engine control unit (ECU). The ELD captures records of HOS, duty status, and all data required by the DOT. Following the transmission of this data to the telematic software, the fleet managers can monitor the HOS statistics and produce compliance reports.
Following are the features of the Matrack ELD
GPS real-time tracking with customization
- Fleet tracking is of paramount importance in the trucking business. It is always beneficial to be well informed about the movement of your fleet to meet deadlines. Track the fleet’s movement in real-time using Matrack ELD, with a reasonable baseline of one-minute updates. The applications have been specifically enhanced, for users who demand more frequent updates. To respond to emergencies promptly, be aware of the precise location of your fleet. Prevent infractions and fines by managing your driver’s on- and off-duty times and HOS. 100% Driver Transparency to encourage responsible driving.
Matrack ELD Application
- An electronic log application called MATRACK MA-ELD helps users adhere to DOT rules. It establishes a Bluetooth connection with a vehicle’s ECM and automatically logs miles and hours. Owner-operators and fleet drivers should use MATRACK MA-ELD. The ELD device can be downloaded and installed on any Apple or Android device of your choice. The app helps review Records of duty status (RODS) & Hours of service (HOS) logs.
- The Data Transfer feature allows easy sharing of output files to the appropriate authorities. For data transfer, Matrack ELD supports FMCSA Option-1 Telematics. Drivers can choose between sending data by email or a web service. Roadside inspection by DOT Inspector may include sending optional text along with the ELD output file.
- A geo-fence is an invisible boundary placed around a map. It is advantageous for trucking companies to update clients on the progress of their shipments as they travel. The carriers track the trailer’s location using geofencing technology, guaranteeing that the equipment does not deviate from the planned path. If it breaks through the invisible boundary, the carrier can swiftly get in touch with the driver to find out why and take the necessary action. Matrack geo-fencing ensures that your driver takes the best routes & adheres to safety restrictions.
- Matrack ELD provides comprehensive logging of all the information you require on the condition of your fleet, including:
- Knowing your battery status helps you detect damages or cracks & alert you before they turn into full-fledged leaks. It translates to saving precious time and money.
- Being able to track fuel usage at the individual vehicle level to see which of your trucks is using gasoline less effectively. You can analyze inefficiencies and take prompt action by knowing how your fleet uses fuel in almost real-time.
- Matrack ELD has the provision of history tracking for a selected date range. Regulators or insurance companies require historical data.
- Matrack ELD provides easy retrieval of old data without spending time looking through countless piles of logging.
IFTA Automated Report (optional)
- These are optional but critical reports generated by Matrack ELD. The ELD jurisdictionally calculates the distance traveled by each vehicle automatically. It eliminates time-consuming manual data entry to increase productivity and efficiency in your company. It also reduces errors made when manually entering data. Avoid having to keep track of gasoline receipts by using Matrack Fuel Card to import fuel card data quickly.
Dispatch Solutions (optional)
- Utilize dispatch software to match ELD data and driver availability with fleet scheduling. Increase productivity and load profitability by using dispatch software. As requested by shippers, give trucks visibility.
- There is no compulsion or contract binding. Matrack offers the option of canceling and getting a refund if the device fails to satisfy you.
- The product comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Subscriptions available are as low as $14.95 per month. The basic package includes all logging requirements.
- Free FMCSA-approved ELD device worth $200.
AI models for compliance, safety & savings make Motive ELD beneficial for the trucking business. The ELD-App integration is a dynamic feature that will attract more business.
The use of telematic software by Matrack ELD for compliance reporting ensures accuracy. Features like tracking history and usage of dispatch software give Matrack ELD an edge. The free ELD device with a low-cost subscription is an added advantage.
In conclusion, we can say that both brands offer unique features beneficial for fleets desiring to procure the ELD from either brand. Depending on your needs, you can choose the brand that suits your requirement.