GPS tracking is a term being used every day across the globe. Four decades back, had anyone told you the future would have mobile maps and pinpoint locations accurately, you would have laughed it off. That is how technology has advanced far beyond our wildest dreams. The utility of GPS has moved way ahead from just pointing to locations. GPS plays a significant role in many aspects of our life, including law enforcement, preventing auto theft, watching out for the elderly, finding lost pets, etc.
Read the blog to find the list of the top 9 best real-time GPS fleet trackers for fleet owners.
What is Real-time GPS tracking?
Real-time GPS tracking, also known as active tracking, refers to continuously monitoring or trailing someone. To triangulate its current location, a real-time GPS tracking device, like all tracking devices, is constantly receiving digital messages from satellites in orbit. A real-time GPS tracking device continuously transmits this data to the internet so that you can monitor the location of your GPS tracking device.
What are the advantages of Real-time tracking?
It is beneficial to your clients to know the location and status of their freight. Real-time updates will reassure them that they have partnered with the right fleet.
With proper tracking, you can significantly reduce your fuel consumption. Meticulous planning will help you and your clients, given the growing cost of gas. A real-time tracking system will also persuade insurance providers that you are a less dangerous alternative, resulting in significant savings on your insurance coverage.
Additionally, your cargo will be better secured when you use real-time tracking. By staying informed on the status of your freight, you can keep it safe while in transit.
Real-time tracking will give accurate GPS readings to your drivers. They will gain access to the easiest and fastest routes, resulting in savings on fuel costs and happy customers.
It is not easy to keep track of delivery and pickup performance. Typically, you rely on self-reporting from carriers. If you choose real-time tracking, on the other hand, you may see when the freight arrives at the facility. With this type of tracking, you can see the issues and manage your carriers more effectively.
You can compute the cost variances by analyzing data on the routes followed by different clients. You can create cost analysis reports or keep track of the fuel efficiency of the vehicles. These reports will help you run your business more effectively and give your clients better information, value, and services.
Depending on your needs, numerous real-time GPS tracking companies offer quality products. This article lists the top 9 real-time GPS trackers for fleet owners. The objective is to introduce you to real-time trackers with various capabilities you may consider for your fleet.
Matrack MA-2106 AN
On top of the list is the Matrack MA-2106 AN real-time GPS tracker. Matrack is an international corporation with headquarters in the US and operations on several continents. They always work to provide their customers with the best fleet and asset tracking solutions. The MA-2106 AN hardwired real-time GPS tracking device is a practical and affordable option. The device can be wired anywhere in the car due to its small size. It has a direct battery connection and keeps track of speed, location, and idle times.
The Matrack tracker is a powerful device and value-for-money proposition for your fleet. It is a highly recommended product and stands out amongst the competition.
- Dimensions: 3.37” x 2.28” x 0.53”
- Weight: 1.98 oz
- Battery: 180mAh Li-Polymer
- Tracking in Real Time & Travel Log Reports: The tracking and reporting system is real-time, simple, and can be comprehended easily. Important information displayed in the system includes engine status, coordinates of latitude and longitude, street address, battery status, mileage, speed, and direction.
- Geofencing: This feature sends notifications each time there is a perimeter breach. You can virtually define a perimeter around any spot. You can have ten different geofences for each account.
- Dispatch Manager System: It is designed primarily to streamline the working procedures in the fleet and transportation industry. This technology assists you in mapping all jobs and deliveries into the Matrack GPS tracking platform to enhance fuel efficiency.
- Routing: It helps to prioritize and assign jobs to various drivers and map out the best routes.
- IFTA Reporting: For intrastate commercial vehicles IFTA fuel tax records are necessary. The basis of this report computation is the distance traveled through each state and the amount of fuel bought in each state.
- Preventative Maintenance Alerts: Configure your system to notify you whenever car maintenance is required.
- Road Assistance: Matrack & Blink roadside assistance has a strategic partnership to offer you discounted pricing on the fastest emergency services possible.
The cost of the device is $50.00, with a monthly plan of $12.95.
LandAirSea Sync GPS
The LandAirSea Sync GPS is an indigenous product of the United States. It is a complete device that meets the real-time tracking requirements of your fleet. The GPS device is compact and connects to the vehicle’s onboard diagnostics port(OBD II). Power for the monitoring equipment comes from the battery of the target car.
An alert is immediately issued to the fleet management warning them if someone attempts to manipulate the tracker.
Once the device is attached to the intended vehicle, GPS data gets transmitted to the LandAirSea server, and the user gets instant access to the truck’s location. The device is powered directly from the vehicle and hence, needs no charge. The product features a plan description and tracking intervals that range from 3-second updates to a maximum of 3-minute updates.
- Dimensions: 1.8” x 2.18” x 1.08”
- Operating temperature: 40°C to 60°C.
- Internal battery Li-Ion rechargeable, 3.7, 250mAh.
- 4G LTE + Satellite Tracking Technology.
- Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) location services – GPS/GLONASS/BeiDou-Compass/Galileo/QZSS.
- Update frequency – Depending on the service plan.
- 5-second updates.
- 10-second updates.
- 1 min updates.
- 5 min updates.
- Unlimited historical playback.
- Individual and enhanced vehicle reports, mileage, and start/stop reports.
- Share spot to share the location.
- Instafence notification informing that the asset has left the current site.
- The dark mode turns all LEDs off remotely.
With a monthly subscription at $ 8.95 for 3-second updates, the LandAirSea Sync is a value-for-money product.
Optimus 2.0 Portable GPS Tracker
The Optimus 2.0 is a complete GPS tracker with real-time tracking, making it a tracker with something for everyone. The gadget is portable, waterproof, and small, making it the perfect option for tracking assets and cars. The device provides real-time locations as fast as every minute.
You can follow everything in real-time through the website and mobile application and get information via email and SMS. Using Google Maps, you may also see a satellite view and the precise location of your tracker. Google Maps is the easiest way of finding the location of your GPS device, thanks to the Optimus GPS tracking technology.
The battery life of the Optimus 2.0 is good, and with the frequency set to 1 minute, the batteries can last up to two weeks after a single charge. The sturdy construction of the device is evident in its magnetic casing and long-lasting premium battery.
A variety of reports are offered, including parking with addresses, time of departure, and driving records.
- Dimensions: 3” x 15” x 1”.
- Weight: 3.3 ounces.
- Tracker battery percent.
- One year of historical GPS tracking data gets stored during service. Email and text message alerts are sent for movement, speeding, leaving or entering areas, low battery, and the SOS button.
- View tracker on Google Maps with Live Traffic, Street View.
- Application for Android and iPhone.
- Trackable through a browser on a PC, tablet, or mobile phone.
- Can View current speed and direction.
- Service coverage is limited to cell phone coverage in the USA and Canada.
The cost of the device is $29.95. The $19.95 monthly subscription is non-binding and canceled whenever you wish.
With a global presence in 200+ countries, the VyncsFleet 4G+ is top of the range in GPS trackers offered by the company. Vyncs 4G+ takes data every second while driving, analyses it, and then sends the results to your cloud account through a 4G wireless network.
Even when your car engine is off, Vync 4G+ still offers hourly updates. Additionally, the tracker provides real-time position updates and tracks every trip undertaken, including stop and start addresses.
Vync GPS tracker comes loaded with features and information like driver monitoring, vehicle performance reporting, fuel reporting, emergency roadside assistance, scheduled maintenance reminders, etc. The tracker does not require a battery as it gets power from the OBD-II port. Trip logs, the last known location on the map, zone entry/exit alerts, and start/stop locations on the map are just a few of the tracking features.
- Dimensions 2.4”x 1.9” x 0.9”.
- Weight: 2.08 ounces.
- No monthly fee.
- 30-day free refund.
- Tracking location in real-time by using a web, iPhone, or Android app
- On-demand location updates.
- Driver safety features like monitoring driving with alerts from your phone and computer.
- Monitor vehicle speed.
- Monitor rapid acceleration and braking.
- Ignition-on alert & device tamper alert.
The Vyncs for businesses and fleets offer many additional features for commercial fleets like:
- Infinite vehicles per account.
- Dashboard for fleets.
- Excel-friendly format downloadable data.
- Tracking of fuel costs.
- Customized maintenance tasks.
- Accurate idle time reported on the map (car not moving but engine running).
The cost of the device is $119.99. Each plan comes with a SIM card, device, one year of data plan, and one year of free service.
Linxup GPS Tracker
The Linxup is a cloud-based, real-time GPS tracker and works on all types of trucks, from Class 1 pick up to Class 8 big rigs. It is simple to install and maintain the device. The tracker works on box trucks, flatbed trucks, tow trucks, heavy-duty trucks, dump trucks, garbage trucks, and many more
- Dimensions 2.4” x 2” x 1.1”
- Weight <2oz.
- Network 4G Cellular.
- View locations in real-time.
- Monitor driver behavior.
- Track electronic driver logs.
- Recognize when assets depart from designated areas.
- Track Maintenance Needs
- Create landmarks & geofences that send alerts when vehicles enter or exit designated areas.
- You can keep tabs on the performance of your fleet using a PC or a smartphone with the help of real-time GPS vehicle monitoring software. You can instantly recognize the following at a glance.
- Get the direction and speed of the car.
- The latest GPS update time.
- Fetch the current location of the vehicle.
- You may monitor the location and driving manner of the vehicle over time using the Linxup GPS. The map interface has the following functions:-
- An animated, interactive route replay that divides each day into specific trip parts allows you to review a vehicle’s history.
- Click to observe visual indicators for stops, activity alerts, and other significant driving occurrences.
- Flexible fleet, driver, and user management includes the following: –
- Flexible user accounts that can support the right level of access for each user (only let users see the vehicle information you choose).
- Using custom groups, you can arrange automobiles to best suit the structure of your organization.
- You can set system thresholds for things like speeding and idle time.
The device costs $69.99, with a monthly subscription plan of $25.00.
Quartix GPS trackers
For more than 20 years, Quartix has been a reputable name in the vehicle tracking industry. You can track your fleet and drivers in real-time with the Quartix tracker using any internet-connected device and no additional software.
The Quatrix program offers a variety of vehicle tracking reports, aids in managing your fuel and mileage expenses, and helps you identify your best drivers.
- Dimensions 9cm x 5.5cm x 2.4cm.
- Weight 90g.
- Daily vehicle logs – Giving details of start and finish times. Distance traveled and idling time between trips.
- Daily route maps – Customization option for creating your customer locations for regular customers. To check that driver routes are within proximity of these locations.
- Mobile app – To observe the driving habits of the drivers. Drivers who have private access to reports can evaluate their driving habits without knowing the personal information of other drivers.
- Trip reporter – A fleet’s overall mileage, driving hours, and idle time over an extended period can be seen using an MIS.
- Timesheets – Save time by comparing reported overtime to actual overtime. Each vehicle in a group has its summary tab. Additionally, each vehicle has a detailed page that displays a breakdown of each journey and a daily total.
- Driver behavior monitoring- The Driver league table rates the drivers and gives them a score depending on their driving profile. Daily driver briefings show them areas for improvement and keep them motivated.
- Analysis of vehicle management.
- Get monthly mileage & speed reports.
- Define mandatory or prohibited zones & create your geographic zones.
- Real-time alerts.
The cost of the Infoplus device is $18.90, with a quarterly subscription plan of $56.70. The Cost of Infoplus & DriverID is $22.90 with a quarterly subscription plan of & $68.70.
Trackimo 3G GPS Tracker with 1 Year GSM
The Trackimo 3G GPS tracker distinguishes out in the crowded field of portable GPS trackers as a dependable and functional gadget. In a crowded market of real-time GPS trackers, Trackimo provides real-time analytics and reporting with the help of its innovative GPS/GSM/Wi-Fi/BT hybrid tracking system. Trackimo can precisely locate anything anywhere on the globe. Trackimo keeps track of the entire device journey history for up to five years.
- Weight: 1.4 ounces/ 42 Grams.
- Dimensions: 1.8” X 1.6” X 0.7”
- Quad gsm 850/gsm 900/dcs 1800/pcs 1900 network band.
- Batteries: 144+ hour standby duration 600 mAh Li-ion battery.
- Low Monthly Subscription Fee – After the initial 12-month service period, only $5 per month. Compared to all consumer tracking devices available worldwide, Trackimo has the cheapest monthly service fee, with zero roaming charges.
- Real-time tracking is possible thanks to GPS and GSM, which provide a one-year history and an instant, accurate present location.
- Smart Alerts: Notifications sent to users via text, email, and apps for sudden movement or impact, location changes, and pre-set speed thresholds.
- Android and iPhone apps are free.
- Speed alert in case the device exceeds pre-set speed.
- Fence alert in case the device leaves pre-set geofence.
- Move alert once the device starts moving.
- Can add up to 100 devices per account.
- Tracking of the device in real-time with minute updates.
- Long battery life: 6x daily updates for a month in energy save mode.
The device has a $198.90 price tag, which includes a one-year subscription. The monthly subscription is $5 per month after the first 12 months.
The Geotab GO9+ is a compact vehicle tracking device that connects directly to the OBD II port of your car.
Whether you have one vehicle or a fleet of hundreds of trucks, Geotab has all the solutions needed to suit your needs. The GO9+ provides live driver teaching and transmits in-vehicle notifications that immediately notify drivers of transgressions. Using the company’s patented tracking system, the Geotab GO9+ precisely reconstructs vehicle trips, analyses incidents, and improves the performance and safety of the fleet.
- Dimensions: 75 mm x 50 mm × 23 mm.
- Weight: 70g.
- Voltage: 12 V and 24 V systems supported.
- Operating temperature: −40 to +85 °C.
- In-vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot: The GO9+ telematics device from Geotab connects tablets, phones, and other Wi-Fi-capable devices via an in-vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Security: It is challenging to impersonate a device because every device has a distinct ID and a dynamic security key.
- In-vehicle driver coaching: With in-car feedback, you can improve driving habits. Create guidelines to reduce unsafe driving habits like speeding, idling, and seat belt disregard.
- Breakthrough collision detection and notification: Collision alerts keep you informed and provide a thorough rundown of what happened. When a suspected collision is detected, the gadget will automatically send extensive data to enable forensic reconstruction of the incident.
- External device expandability via IOX Technology.
- In-built auto-calibrating accelerometer and gyrometer.
- Near-real-time vehicle data.
- Quick GPS retrieval by using Almanac Over-the-Air(OTA).
- Support for GPS+GLONASS connectivity.
- End-to-end cybersecurity.
You can request a demo and price on their website.
Samsara – Vehicle Gateway
Samsara Vehicle Gateway device provides live GPS tracking with real-time fleet visibility. The device is also capable of ELD capabilities, engine diagnostics, and advanced analytics. Samsara GPS is known and endorsed for its accuracy in providing real-time updates. Its goal is to assist small and midsize fleet business owners in tracking the physical location of their fleets and keeping an eye on the behavior of their drivers to comply with ELD and FMCSA standards.
- Dimensions: 4.65” x 2.8” x 0.9”
- Weight: 173g.
- Operating temperature: -40° to 85°C.
- Input power: 12V and 24V via diagnostic port connection or direct wiring harness.
- Real-time GPS tracking: The GPS tracker gives an instant aerial overview of your assets on the ground. They aid in navigation and assist law enforcement in finding the stolen property.
- Smart map overlays: You can aid your drivers in staying on course or adapting to changing conditions by monitoring weather, traffic, or the location of the nearest charging station.
- Geofencing: Automatically receive notifications through text or email whenever your assets enter or exit particular locations or whenever there is unusual activity.
- Route optimization: Plan and analyze routes, stops, and performance data to find outliers and trends that can be corrected with coaching.
- Route planning integrations: Easily interface with several third-party dispatching and routing programs to centralize operations.
- Performance analysis to improve operations and cost reduction by monitoring the following:
- Analyze trip information for your fleet. Find driving patterns that can be improved and raise the efficiency of the driver and journey alike.
- Track vehicle speed and erratic driving behavior and find strategies to improve driving safety and reduce accidents.
- Maximum utilization of the time you spend in each place. You can rapidly identify unlawful or ineffective behavior with visibility into how your drivers use their days.
Every fleet operator needs real-time GPS trackers, as they provide accurate information. These real-time updates help you keep an eye on the movements and whereabouts of your fleet constantly. Real-time tracking is crucial for your fleet, and you must pick the best GPS tracker for your demands and budget.